Be More Persuasive
Perhaps one of the most valuable talents/skills that a negotiator should have is being persuasive. After all, if you can’t persuade other people to consider your side you won’t get very far...
Here are a few negotiation tips to increase your power of persuasion.
Focus on the other person’s positive attributes
Find an attribute you like about the other person and then compliment her/him on it. This tip comes from a Harvard Business blog:
Be sincere, genuine and likeable
This tip comes from Pat Price in Best Management Articles:
Ask questions rather than make statements
This tip comes from Calvin Sun in the Tech Republic:
Dr. Chester Karrass, in his book Give and Take, suggests the following:
• Start with easy to settle issues rather than the more charged ones
• Deliver good news before bad news
• Emphasize where you are in agreement
• Present both sides of the issue
• Pay attention to your end argument, since it is the one the other person will remember the most
• State your conclusions explicitly
• Repeat your message to create acceptance
What persuades you?
Whether you’re negotiating for a better price on lunch or a new car or a multi-million dollar deal at work, how you listen matters. Of all the life skills we develop from childhood, listening is actually one of the most overlooked and underappreciated...Read More
Success in negotiation starts with understanding what kind of negotiation you are dealing with. Fundamentally, every negotiation is fundamentally about finding and distributing value...Read More